The Washington State Patrol (WSP) welcomes visitors and locals alike to the start of Summer in Chelan County. Memorial Day Weekend is traditionally the summer kickoff. The WSP would like to remind everyone to have fun, but to consume alcohol responsibly and use a designated sober driver or public transportation.
Our goal this year is to prevent serious injury or fatal collisions from occurring during the long weekend. We will continue to be proactive in our efforts to prevent these tragic collisions from occurring during this weekend and throughout the summer, and stress the importance of having a designated sober driver and drinking responsibly. The WSP and Chelan County Sheriff’s Office will have additional officers out during Memorial Day weekend along with the Mobile Impaired Driving Unit (MIDU).
The MIDU is a self-contained 36 foot motor home that travels across the state in support of all law enforcement efforts during Driving Under the Influence emphasis’s. The MIDU is equipped with three breath test instruments and two holding cells to effectively and efficiently process impaired drivers in a faster manner which subsequently gets the patrol officer back on the road in minutes.
We recommend the following:
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation, so you are sure to get home safely.
- If you’re not sure whether you are impaired, make the safe choice and find a sober driver or ride.
- If you see an impaired driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911 and report that driver.
- If you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
- Always buckle up! Wearing your seatbelt is the best defense against an impaired driver.
Drive Sober or get pulled over!